NCSR Demokritos - NCSRD (EL)
Description of organisation
The National Centre for Scientific Research (NCSR) "Demokritos" is a self-governing research organisation, under the supervision of the Greek Government. The total number of staff is about 700, including 100 post-graduate students. The NCSRD is the biggest research centre in applied sciences and engineering in Greece.
The Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT)
has accumulated substantial expertise and is actively involved in many areas of information technology and telecommunications related to its responsibilities and objectives in the proposed plan of work, including:
- ICT Support for First Responders
- Location Based Services
- Indoor and outdoor positioning and tracking technologies
- Semantic information extraction and data fusion from multiple content for enhancement of ontologies and situation awareness in crises management
- Security of network, means and people, biometrics and related applications and services
- Mobile (including 3G ones and beyond) and wireless communication systems
- Intelligent Networks and open architectures including protocol engineering
- Quality acceptance tests of IT & telecommunications components and products
- Software engineering with emphasis to automatically customisable software
Furthermore, the IIT has extensive experience in Security related R&D projects, including TASS, DITSEF, Pronto, SHARE, and many others.
Main tasks attributed
NCSR Demokritos participates in the inventory of technology and systems for crisis management and relevant past and current R&D efforts. It also participates in the definition of the target system for the Demonstration Phase II. Finally, NCSRD is active in the organisation of the workshops with the key stakeholders.
Previous experience relevant to the tasks
NCSR Demokritos has long-standing experience with the Greek Government and Civil Protection bodies in the determination of CBRNE (and especially Nuclear) dispersal models and effects on humans.